AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Is tracking a CMS (Drupal) user id allowed in Google Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can't quite pin down an answer.

Are we allowed to send user id's straight from a CMS, in this case Drupal, to google analytics to track?

Google ToS says no personally identifiable information can be sent, but to Google the user id is just another number. But for us as the user of GA, we could easily get all the user information from this id through the Drupal backend. Is this allowed?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is tracking a CMS (Drupal) user id allowed in Google Analytics?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Have a look at this help article. I think that since members opt by choice in they could be tracked as you describe.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cookies-user-id

Re: Is tracking a CMS (Drupal) user id allowed in Google Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

I see the section on User ID. I'm a little confused if this is a CMS id from the Drupal database they are taking about or a Google defined User Id?

Also, I see the "Important! The USER_ID value should be a unique, persistent, and non-personally identifiable string identifier that represents a user or signed-in account across devices." But I don't find any definition of what "non-personally identifiable" means.

Ultimately, for my use case I need to know if the Drupal id that corresponds to all of the user information in Drupal is considered personally identifiable.

Thanks