Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Is there a way to connect the dots between my commerce site and youtube other than tracking links?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have set up separate Google Analytics properties for both my e-commerce website as well as my youtube account. Is there a way to link the data between the properties in a manner which would show how many of the people watching videos on youtube ultimately end up on our site and make a purchase?  I realize I can do that by creating clickable links on the youtube videos but so few people do that it isn't giving me the data I need. 

More or less I need to know how well the videos are working as an awareness and engament driver so I can increase or reduce resources put into the creation of the video campaigns.  My assumption is the awareness piece promotes traffic days or weeks later.  They certainly seem to be working and I would like to increase the budget if possible. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Is there a way to connect the dots between my commerce site and youtube other than tracking links?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi,

What you have here is a correlation between the two and a fuzzy view on causation.  You may be able to correlate additional video views to organic traffic and direct traffic lift but you'll need a BI platform to so that reliably.  Even in Excel you could see if your views and organic and direct traffic (or even paid) have lifted similarly.

You have a couple of other options as well:

1.  Google Consumer Surveys  - small cost and will allow you to survey your viewers on brand lift etc and your customers on whether they recall (important distinction) if they saw your video. 

https://www.google.com/analytics/surveys/compare/

2.  Google Attribution (a free version ) was recently announced and will be out sometime in the next 6 months or so.  That said, specifics on what inputs will be allowed in the free version are not out and about yet.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn