Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Is there a limit for "Exclude URL Query Parameters"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Our CMS (Sitecore) is somewhat spammy with URL parameters. In the "Exclude URL Query Parameters" option we exclude 34 (!) parameters to receive clean and usable data in GA. However, it seems that some parameters slip through. At around parameter 30 and above in the list, we DO receive URLs with the query parameter, which are excluded though.

So my question is: Is there a limit on how many parameters one can exclude in a view with the "Exclude URL Query Parameters" option?

Thanks for any advice.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam F
May 2017

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Adam @A T gave you some good advice for cleaning it up in GA. 

The limit is 2048 charachters.  https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1010249?hl=en

That said, I recommend that someone start attacking the sitecore mess on the CMS/IT side to have it make prettier URL's.  Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I am not sure about the limits but you can instead use search replace filter to remove it.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Huch, I didn't thought about that. Seems like a neat workaround. However, it would be cool if I had an info about the maximum allowed excluded queries. There is clearly a cap. Where could I suggest that to Google to increase this or at least let people know the maximum?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam F
May 2017

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Adam @A T gave you some good advice for cleaning it up in GA. 

The limit is 2048 charachters.  https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1010249?hl=en

That said, I recommend that someone start attacking the sitecore mess on the CMS/IT side to have it make prettier URL's.  Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Well, perfect. Exactly what I was looking for Smiley Happy

PS: Count me in on attacking Sitecore for its messy URIs. It's such a PITA, for devs and marketers.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

I know.. I'm not a big fan.  Smiley Happy

Connect on LinkedIn