Analytics
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Is the subdomain tracking still required for universal analytics?

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

This popular discussion was copied from the former Help Forum, answered by Margarita Evtimova (Member)

Question: Hi All, one of the client's websites has a 'shop' subdomain www.shop.example.com.

I installed the same code on the main site and the subdomain, without any alterations on either. All pages, from both, are being tracked and display correctly in the reports. I have to set a goal with a funnel for the shop.example.com. Analytics, however, only lets me set the second part of the URL i.e. /thank.you without the shop.example.com or example.com.

My question is, will the goals and funnel steps be tracked correctly or do I still need to make some alterations to the code on shop.example.com? Thank you for your help! Magda

Answer: Hi Magda, in Universal Analytics you don't have to change the code to track users across sub-domains. If your Thank you page is a unique page across all subdomains your goal should work properly. If it's not, you need to create a filter showing the full URL:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012243?hl=en

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is the subdomain tracking still required for universal analytics?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
If you have any questions, post them below, or start a new discussion!