AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Is the subdomain tracking still required for universal analytics?

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

This popular discussion was copied from the former Help Forum, answered by Margarita Evtimova (Member)

Question: Hi All, one of the client's websites has a 'shop' subdomain www.shop.example.com.

I installed the same code on the main site and the subdomain, without any alterations on either. All pages, from both, are being tracked and display correctly in the reports. I have to set a goal with a funnel for the shop.example.com. Analytics, however, only lets me set the second part of the URL i.e. /thank.you without the shop.example.com or example.com.

My question is, will the goals and funnel steps be tracked correctly or do I still need to make some alterations to the code on shop.example.com? Thank you for your help! Magda

Answer: Hi Magda, in Universal Analytics you don't have to change the code to track users across sub-domains. If your Thank you page is a unique page across all subdomains your goal should work properly. If it's not, you need to create a filter showing the full URL:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012243?hl=en

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is the subdomain tracking still required for universal analytics?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
If you have any questions, post them below, or start a new discussion!