AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Is significant location changes in iOS starts a session?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am using Google Analytics for iOS and I just added a feature using Apple's Significant Location Changes (SLC) detection.

The Active users graphs started to rise and I was wandering if it is because the application's

didFinishLaunchingWithOptions method is being called when iOS wakes up the app for SLC.

I would expect Google to handle this use case properly (meaning - no screens displayed -> no session -> no active user).

Can someone please confirm this for me?

Re: Is significant location changes in iOS starts a session?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Erez,
SDK is giving you a way to send data to Google server with measurement protocol.
Some user would prefer not send data when SLC is active some other will prefer send them, it's up to you do use the SDK in the way that you prefer.
For what you describe it seems that you up when it's just wakeup from SLC is activate the same code that you use for normal user navigation, probably you have to change this.
Fil

Re: Is significant location changes in iOS starts a session?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your fast response.
Google Analytics measurements on active users may be measured independently of how the developer uses the SDK. The Google Analytics SDK may register to general app level events such as coming back from the background, app launch, app termination, etc. In that case, the developer (me) would have no way to affect how and when the SDK counts an active user.
So my question is about the nature of the implementation of the SDK (in iOS).