Analytics
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Is it ok to get Analytics Tracking ID before site is LIVE?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I entered the new site info to get a tracking ID # before the site is actually live, and it won't be Live for about a month, just wanted to get the Tracking ID now before I forget, I am extremely new to analytics, will getting theh tracking ID generated BEFORE the site is actually live mess anything up ??

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jessica K,

Yes, that is what I do. I am a professional web developer and I build out my technology package first, then the design package, then the content package... then test and publish. My technology package includes all the meta tags and Google tracking codes.

If you need further assistance, please just let us know.

Kind Regards,

James 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jessica K
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jessica,

It won't mess up anything, you are just not going to collect any data from your website.

If you are just setting up your property i'd suggest to skip the one ending in -1 and use the -2 instead. Spammers are randomly sending fake traffic to GA properties and mostly the -1 properties are affected. Please read about analytics spam in the article below:

http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

Let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

ok, thank you!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

ok, thank you!