Analytics
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Is it OK to implement analytics codes on individual pages only?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

2 of my client sites share one microsite housing two separate pages for each client. I already have UA installed on my microsite but I was wondering if it would pose any problems if I also added cross-domain tracking for each client and their respective microsite pages? 

Basically I would have two UA codes on each page: 1 being the overall microsite code, 2 being the client's cross-browsing enabled code. 

Thoughts?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Angeli V - it really depends on what are the tracking requirements or better say what does the communication platform contain in terms of sites and microsites. 

If you have a setup which involves:

1) Main site

2) Micro site

You could add a main tracker which supports cross domain (if needed) and will have the code present on main site AND micro site and then have another tracker which would only be placed on the micro site itself (not sure of the benefits aside from having a clean microsite property if you need it for agency access or similar (creating a filtered view inside the Main property may get you the same just be mindful of the sampling limits in GA which are in standard Analytics property based)).

When using multiple tracker on site please refer to https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/creating-trackers#working_w... for more information.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Zorin 

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Zorin R thanks for confirming that. This is exactly what I have set up. My client sites have tracking with cross-domain enabled and I have another code solely meant for the microsite. My concern though is if having two client sites linked up to one microsite will be a problem? Also, I don't have the client codes installed on all the pages, just the pages that are relevant to their product. Will this cause complications? 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@Zorin Escape I guess what I'm really just trying to achieve is this: 

I work for an agency and would like to only show clients traffic from the specific microsite pages relevant to them. I can't have the seeing activity on other pages that belong to different clients. 

My thoughts on achieving this are as follows (and take note I use GTM to implement analytics): 

Solution A - enable cross browser tracking for my client's UA code and install that code on the select microsite pages ONLY 

Solution B

- enable cross browser tracking for my client's UA code and install it on all pages on the microsite.

- Set up a filter to include traffic coming only from those specific microsite pages. 

Solution B seems feasible at first but then I realized my URIs are all unique, no pattern so I can't possibly compile the links to a single list and use that for filters. Unless you can suggest a way to do that? 

I read through this: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1102152?hl=en

and this section is similar to what I'm trying to do: 

Sales > googleanalytics.com/sales

In this account, the Sales views tracks the same property as the master view —the googleanalytics.com website. For this reason, it uses the same property ID as the master view. It differs from the master view because it uses a special filter to include only traffic on the sales section of the website: googleanalytics.com/sales.

User activity on other sections of the site is considered "outside" the site from the definition of the view. For example, total pageviews would be only for this section of the site, and not for the entire googleanalytics.com. Time on page and time on site would apply only to the pages being tracked.

Access to this view is available only to Sue and the members of the Sales team, including Liz and Jim.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

quick thought - could you ask a friendly developer to add custom dimensions to the pages which give them a unique identifier, or at least allow grouping? This could allow you to filter them.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Is it OK to implement analytics codes on individual pages only?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

That's an idea, I will look into this one as well. Thanks @John W! 

I would still like to know though if setting up my client cross-domain UA codes like this on my microsite will pose any problems:

SP-GA.png

SP-GA2.png

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Angeli V - cross domain should be used in cases where you track multiple domains in one single property. If you on the other hand have trackers on which do not require this feature to be on use allowLinker: false (in some cases you can also rename the cookie for each tracker).

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I looked into @John W's suggestion and while it is a good one, I simply cannot have data for the pages on my microsite that are unrelated to my client show up on their analytics account. We control this account through MCC and while yes, I can apply filters but who's to say they don't have a view that we aren't allowed to see or make a new view then my other client data will end up being shown to them. 

@Zorin R: cross-browser tracking is exactly what I need, but I only want it applied to select pages of my microsite as it (the microsite) is shared among different clients. 

If I understand correctly, you just want me to edit my tracker on the pages I don't want collecting data on my client's analytics account to have allowLinker: false? 

To reiterate my original question though, would anything go wrong if I just put in my cross-browser tracking enabled code on the microsite pages that belong to my client?