AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Is There An Option to Disable Measurement Protocol?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have integrated Google Analytics code to my web app that runs only on localhost for now. (it is in development stage) Code implementation works successfully while using the app on localhost. But when i go to Traffic - Source section in Google Analytics Dashboard, i see weird website names like "free-share-buttons-aaa.xyz / referral", "exchangeit.gq / referral" etc...

I researched the situation and find that measurement protocol may cause this. Looking for ways to deal with this situation and want to try to disable measurement protocol for my property.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Murat G
July 2016

Re: Is There An Option to Disable Measurement Protocol?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
No option to disable the MP.

To tackle spam traffic, one way is to create a hostname include filter with the value of your site's hostname. You'll most likely eliminate all spam traffic which is coming via the measurement protocol.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Murat G
July 2016

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
No option to disable the MP.

To tackle spam traffic, one way is to create a hostname include filter with the value of your site's hostname. You'll most likely eliminate all spam traffic which is coming via the measurement protocol.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

By the way, I should've mentioned that in order not to exclude valid hostnames, go to the Hostname report in GA.

Audience > Technology > Network, then switch the primary dimension to Hostname.

There you'll find a list of all hostnames driving traffic to your site. Use the valid ones in the include filter.