AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Internal Promotions - 'Revenue' allocation if multiple are clicked in the session?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Howdy gang,

Looking to implement internal promotion tracking.

Q1:

First wondering how it works when multiple promotions are clicked in a session that places an order - does each promotion get the total Revenue of the order allocated to them?    I think I saw somewhere that only the last clicked gets the Revenue which isn't ideal for me.  

Q2:

Also, will it be possible to add this tracking to site elements that a 3rd party is controlling e.g. dynamic product recommendation tiles? 

Q3:

Lastly, can you add this tracking to any site element?  E.g. drop-down menu items? 

Ideally I want to continually track the value of any site element. 

Cheers,

Sam

Internal Promotions - 'Revenue' allocation if multiple are clicked in the session?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sam,

Q1

You are correct when you say last click.

Q2

Providing that you can add code to their widget, iframe then you should be able to.

Q3

Why would you want to implement promotion tracking for drop down menus?

Thanks,

A

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Q1

The last click is fine, but if there are no clicks, it will credit the last view, which I think is terrible!  At least for what I want to use it for. 

Q3

I want to know the value of all elements on the homepage. To drive merchandising strategy, by measuring the CTR & Revenue driven from clicks on any given element. 

E.g. if we put product x in the drop-down menu AND the main image  vs.  if we just leave it in the drop-down menu, and put another product in the main image.  

This doesn't seem like it would work for that, particularly with Google crediting the last 'viewed' promo if none are clicked.   Events seem like the only way to go to try and achieve this.   I also agree that tracking things like the drop-down is likely not needed.