Analytics
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Integrate Analytics into site before or after domain pointing?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Here's my situation. We have an old site we are abandoning. I am creating a new site as we speak. We will point the domain name to the new site once it is 'live' and we want to send traffic to it. Should I wait until the domain has been pointed to the new site before adding google analytics to the new site?

I'd like to set up the analytics now so we can hit the ground running but if I use the old domain name in the setup and code on the new site I don't want to cause any issues when we change the pointer and stop using the old site. I'm not sure if the old site is currently using analytics so I will be starting a new analytics account.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

You can always create the GA tracking code using your new domain name before the nameservers are propagated.  

Thanks

Sura

Re: Integrate Analytics into site before or after domain pointing?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you. The domain is currently live on another server with a site we will move away from. Will this cause any issues with the code if it built using a live domain on another server?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Finance P
December 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

The data from other domain name (you current domain) will be tracked as referral traffic. Once you change your website to new domain name (nameservers) you will be able to see the traffic source and medium like Organic, social, paid  and direct.

Thanks

Sura

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Awesome. Thank you for the help.