Analytics
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Installing Cross Domain Tracking with 2 Legacy Properties

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am looking to setup cross domain tracking; however, I currently have two properties tracking my website and my third party shopping cart (example: Property 1, Mysite.com; Property 2, Myshoppingcart.com). Each property has their own set of unique events and goals that we would like to continue to use. My questions are,

- is it possible to merge these two properties without having to create new event and goals?

- Is it better to create a third property for cross domain or just add one of the legacy properties to both sites?

Sorry for the novice question. I am pretty new to this stuff.

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Installing Cross Domain Tracking with 2 Legacy Properties

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

I would recommend creating a new property if you have now 2 properties working in the way you like.
Creating a new property allows you to build it piece by piece while your old data remains untouched (however you need to be careful when implementing the cross domain tracking because you can mess your individual trackings pretty easily)

Take a look at:

http://www.blastam.com/blog/index.php/2013/04/using-multiple-trackers-in-google-analytics

I could not find the official documentation (it is hiding again) but that should give you enough to start.

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Re: Installing Cross Domain Tracking with 2 Legacy Properties

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Anitti,

Thank you for the quick response. I have read the blog post, adding a third property seems pretty straight forward. I assume I cannot merge the two properties (kind of figured that anyway but one can dream). Do you know what some of the drawbacks could be to adding one of the properties to both pages to minimize the development workload? Ideally I would want to use property 1 from my website since it has the most events set up. Since property 2 on my shopping cart only has a few event I figure it would be easier to add them to the Property 1 and put Property 1 on both sites. Seems like a simple solution but I don't what that to come back and bite me.

Munir