Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

In-page Analytics is Not Reporting on Subdomain Traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We want to see how many clicks each page generates to our Signup forms which are on a different subdomain (secure.mydomain.com vs www.mydomain.com).  The same analytics.js coding is on both pages and I get analytics and conversion information in GA; however, the in-page analytics never show click percentages to our signup forms.  Is there any way to make this work?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Capture.PNG

Our analytics code (with id XXX'd out):

<script>
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-xxxxxxx-4', 'auto');
ga('require', 'linkid');
ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: In-page Analytics is Not Reporting on Subdomain Traffic

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Nathan,

In-page analytics traditionally did not work with sub-domains so we always used another method. Also enhanced link attribution (the require:linkid) also requires you to enable this in the admin section and unique id's in your markup.

Since in-page usage has become more difficult in modern browsers, I still recommend at least supplementing with event tracking. Event tracking let's you measure interactions that don't result in a pageview but also let's you see how people interact with your navigation.

You can also use the flow reports or the navigation summary tab in the content sections to perhaps help you tie together this now.

Here is more on event tracking:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events

Hope that helps..

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Same quewstion here, has Goolge resolved this problem already or not?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Keesjan,

Edit:  In-page works as expected.  If you have clean HTML with unique ID's on your elements, then use the enhanced link attribution setting mentioned above.  If not, use one of the work arounds mentioned in my previous post. 

---------------------

Also, use the chrome plug in as the in-page report will soon be removed from the UI.  For some reason, the chrome plug-in suddenly started working again for me a couple of weeks ago.   If you have issues, try dumping cookies and cache.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn