Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Improper Goal Tracking in Google Analytics

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have domain like abc.com, its product based domain. When users click on “BUY” button, they are going on shop.abc.com where we preferred back-end order process like login, sign up, customer information and add to cart process. After that customer needs to click on “PAY NOW” and they move on PayPal. Once they pay for the product, they redirect on thank you page which refer shop.abc.com/thank-you.

When I analyzed my site using Google Analytics, I saw the most traffic came from my all domains abc.com, store.abc.com and paypal.com under the referral traffic section. All goals are displayed under the “Referrals” channel (for PayPal.com only) instead of Organic, Direct, Paid, Others, Social and Display channels. 

Understand the process:

abc.com – main site

|

shop.abc.com – shopping cart

|

PayPal.com – Payment Gateway

|

shop.abc.com/thank-you

I already implemented same universal analytics code on both domains abc.com and shop.abc.com.

My question is how can I get proper data of goals that explained proper numbers under the particular channels?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jaymin Dangi
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

Excluding a referral only works from its implementation, it won't change the source for users who already have it set.

Returning users who have the payment gateway set as the traffic source will still have that source set when they return as direct. That's why you still see them. For these the source will remain the payment provider until they come back from a source other than direct or once they reach the Campaign timeout set in Admin -> Property -> Tracking Info -> Session Settings. Hope this explains what you're experiencing.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Re: Improper Goal Tracking in Google Analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

Go to your Admin, Property, Tracking Info, Referral Exclusion
add paypal.com and abc.com and 2checkout.com
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Re: Improper Goal Tracking in Google Analytics

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi,

You need to add your domain and the payment gateway domains to the Referral Exclusion List in Admin -> Property -> Tracking Info in order to prevent them from triggering a new session. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en
You will still see these referrals for users who have them set and they return as direct.
Let me know if you have questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I already implemented it and got solution as 90%. But, still I can see all domains referring small numbers as referral traffic.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jaymin Dangi
November 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

Excluding a referral only works from its implementation, it won't change the source for users who already have it set.

Returning users who have the payment gateway set as the traffic source will still have that source set when they return as direct. That's why you still see them. For these the source will remain the payment provider until they come back from a source other than direct or once they reach the Campaign timeout set in Admin -> Property -> Tracking Info -> Session Settings. Hope this explains what you're experiencing.