Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Impressions tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I need to implement impression counts on all of the pages on my site.  The problem I'm running into is that I could have up to 50 images on the same page, but I want to see the impressions only for the images that are visible to the user.  Is there a way to implement that through GTM?

Thanks.

Re: Impressions tracking

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
My first thought is that you should look at setting up Events in Google Analytics. Since you are not interested in pages, but elements, specifically images, you could try adding an event tracking code to each of the images. I would image this would have to be scripted on the backend.

It looks like the second half of this might serve as a guide if you looking for guidance on the methodology. http://www.statstory.com/tracking-clicks-and-impressions-in-google-analytics/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Miguel,

The particular section in GA I'm trying to setup is the one under Conversions->Ecommerce->Product List Performance.(part of the enhanced ecommerce)

Currently Product List Views is too high because of the issue I described originally. We have it setup that each page loads up to 50 images into datalayer, and they all being count as an impression. I'm trying to see if I can manipulate it so only the images for current view would be added as an impression. Since all of those images are loaded on the page load I don't think either GA events or image events would solve this issue.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
That additional information is helpful. So if I understand this right, instead of impressions for the each item on the page, you want to track impression of the content within the viewport for the user. I can see how this would be particularly useful on mobile.

The solution might not be modifying analytics, but how you are generating the content displayed on the page. if you want to get down and dirty with scripting, you could implement a javascript, or JQuery might be better, that loads content for events OnScroll and then limit the max number of items before moving to pagination. This way the events tracking for impressions will only display the content loaded on the screen and more content can loaded as the users scrolls down. If you get it right, it might even cut down on the initial page load time.

Here is an example of such a script http://www.jscroll.com/

Would this be a possibility for your website?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, that what I'm trying to accomplish, but I don't want to mess too much with backend of the site. Here's the example of one of the pages I'm trying to get the impressions: https://www.icanvas.com/canvas-art-prints/artist/leonid-afremov As you scroll down to the page you'll see that it loads more images.