AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Implemented AMP, spike in visits as 'direct'; are they really?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

This may not belong in the right category (apologies if it doesn't).

I run a news site. Per an email from Google highlighting the future of AMP (accelerated mobile pages) I made all articles (pages) on my site have dynamically generated AMP-compatible versions as well (so there's the regular url and one with /amp).

I noticed that one news article was performing particularly well for a few hours, however, Analytics said that (most) visits were 'direct' but I'm about 90% sure they weren't directs though - pretty sure it was related to the AMP version of the article.

With the new Carousel feature on mobile search, does a referral to an /amp link redirect to the original? 

Eager to hear an answer,

Joe

Re: Implemented AMP, spike in visits as 'direct'; are they really?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Joseph N

It's really interesting. I didn't see that data from analytics change after including AMP.

Could You send the data from landing pages from one page, before and after AMP compatible version.

Check this page in Search Analytics in Search Console. Do you have some fluctuation there?

SH