Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Impact on data when GA loads later?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If GA isn't requested until 4-5 seconds, what type of impact does that have on engagement tracking? My assumption is that bounce rate might be inaccurate because the first 4 seconds are not being tracked?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Chris,

Yes, it depends on whether that happens on every page or just the first; but yes, you'll lose some pageviews along the way.  This will include landings (which would impact the bounce rate) and or subsequent views where the user closes the window before the pageview is sent.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Theo. So let's say the call to analytics.js is made exactly at 4 seconds. On average, how long does it take for that request to complete so that user behavior is captured? 200-300ms? Is there anything else that would keep it from capturing activity right away?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Chris,

It takes what it takes but any delay for starting the process risks losing some hits in the process.

You could use the performance tab in the dev console to check yours, mine just came back as 51 μs

Best,

Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn