AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

I've bought a new domain and pointed all previous domains to it. Do I need a new tracking id?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a current website https://www.southwalesremovals.co.uk and have built it up to start strong traffic for the keywords 'removals cardiff' as we are a removals company based in Cardiff. Last night we bought the domain www.titanremovalscardiff.co.uk and want this to be our main website now instead of the original. Our provider, go daddy has pointed my previous sites to the new one and are in the process of transferring our SSL certificate. Do I need to imbed a new tracking code on every page of the site now and delete the previous ones? 

2 Expert replyverified_user

I've bought a new domain and pointed all previous domains to it. Do I need a new tracking id?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

You don't need a new property, just continue tracking in the original one. Use the original tracking ID on the new domain. Update Default URL in Property settings and Website URL in View settings to the new domain name. Also check your goals and your filters and update the domain name if it appears anywhere.

Let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Also, get ready for a potential drop in returning visitors since you'll be changing domain names.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arnold, are you able to help me with this one:

We now have a site placed on a subfolder www.parentcompany-domain/subfolder-website.

Our domain 301-redirects to that subfolder.

We soon launch the website on our own server with most of the content rewritten for better SEO.
The 301 redirect will be cancelled before launch.
My question is: Do we need a new Google tracking ID, or can we use the old one?