Analytics
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

I have the wrong tracking code

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I set up a new tracking code, in error, and now I can't seem to implement the old UA code back in to my analytics.  I have lost all historical data and now even the new UA code is not tracking through Google Analytics.  My website is designed in Wordpress.  Any help would be great.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: I have the wrong tracking code

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi, Jennifer,

Are you able to access the older tracking code? Also I'm assuming it's under a different GA account than the new code, too. If you can get back to the old tracking code in GA, then you should be able to just copy and paste that back into your WP site. Also, make sure you are following the proper procedure for implementing GA on WP sites. Note that you can't really lose historical data unless you delete your property or account. There might be a gap in it for the period that it's not tracking, but as soon as you can get the old code back on and your GA working, then you should be fine.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Re: I have the wrong tracking code

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

My boss added me as an administrator to the existing account - which also has our sister company linked in it - but the tracking code in there is now the new one. And I'm
Still getting an alert saying there's a tracking mismatch. So I know the old codes but have no other info on them! I don't know how to now access the old GA account as it the sister company account is absolutely fine. The new account and the existing account are both under my same email. I'm scared to delete anything.

Can you suggest anything else?

Jen