Analytics
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

I am getting two errors by google tag for setting up Intranet .Net application

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

google analytics error.jpg

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Salman,

Usually intranets are closed down and do not allow the hits to reach google-analytics.com  That could be preventing both the download of analytics.js and the hit from reaching the server.

That said, tag assistant is not perfect... check to see that you are able to access the analytics.js resouce from your intranet and check to see that your hits are getting out.  You can always host analytics.js locally but you'll need to have some governance in place to check for new versions as it changes frequently.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was able to reach both the files mentioned in the following page https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1009688?hl=en

but i also read "our intranet must also be accessible through a fully qualified domain name" and the application what I am trying to implement that site does not has qualified domain. this could also be the one of the reason.

I am pretty new to google analytics, just reading material online and trying to apply the same... its taking forever for me to do my first successful implementation.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Salman,

Well it's fairly easy to see, just go to the real time reports and see if you are capturing anything.  You may also be able to shape the hit before it's sent to spoof a fully qualified domain.. That is, I'm not sure if analytics.js breaks without it or the hit is rejected.   Or you could modify the JS and call your own file and send the hit to GA for processing and storage.

Good luck!

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

i am not able to see any data capturing in real time --> overview or reports. the application I am trying to monitor as a POC does not have a fully qualified domain. I am assuming that it is mandatory to have a fully qualified domain to use google analytics.

Thanks

Salman Rafiq

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Salman,

Did you try to shape the hit and add a fully qualified domain to it?  I have no idea if that will work but it's worth a shot. 

Take a look at your hit and see what value you have for the dh parameter.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/field-reference#hostname

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks for the help Theo, I have found last night that the code was not pasted properly and it start working fine by correcting the code at the application level

Thanks & Regards

Salman Rafiq