Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Huge Amount Of Self-Referrals With Universal GA, Tag Manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I'm struggling with a client's GA account that contains a huge amount of self-referrals. They are using Tag Manager, which is on every page, firing the Universal code. It fires just once and there is only one set of GA cookies being dropped.

Their domain is on the Referral Exclusion list in their GA settings, so I'm at a loss as to what is happening. I've read the Google guide on self-referrals, they don't appear to be suffering any of those (setAllowLinker etc. is FALSE on all pages), so I'm at a loss as to what is happening!

Any ideas anyone?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Huge Amount Of Self-Referrals With Universal GA, Tag Manager

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ian,

without seeing the actual site it is a guessing game.

Is there process on the site which uses iFrame, redirects, crosses domains?
Are all of the pages tagged?
What is the full referrer dimension value for those self referral sessions?
Can you post the GTM GA tag setup?

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zorin, I'm sorry I can't post the client's site URL, I realise it makes the diagnosis much more difficult!

There are no iFrames, redirects or cross-domain issues. There are a number of sub-domains in use, but I don't think that's the cause as the self-referral full referrer path is often the same domain (e.g. homepage referring to homepage).

I'm pretty certain from a crawl and testing with Tag Assistant that all pages are tagged.

The full referrer dimension varies (i.e. there are a lot of variants), but the most common is homepage to homepage (i.e. just the domain itself - website.com referring to website.com with no additional URL string, or mobile.website.com referring to mobile.website.com).

I'm struggling to paste the GA tag setup in Tag Manager as this interface won't accept any image files no matter how many times I try to upload different formats and it won't accept the table HTML that I can paste in from the Tag Manager page either. I will have to type them out manually below - thanks Google, I've wasted 15 minutes of my life working with your broken interface!

Tag type: Universal Analytics

Triggers: All Pages

Exceptions: (blank)

Tracking ID: {{GA Tracking ID}}
Track Type: Pageview

Use Debug Version: False

Enable Enhanced Link Attribution: True

Decorate Forms: False

Enable Display Advertising Features: True

Enable Advertising Features: True

Use Hash as Delimiter: False

Enable Enhanced Ecommerce Features: False

Fields to Set:
Field Name: allowLinker - Value: False

Field Name: anonymizeIp - Value: False

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Ian,

could you please add under Fields to set:
cookieDomain auto

This should take care of the subdomain tracking part - check in debug console if the current set preserves the clientId and then test with cookieDomain auto.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Zorin, will give that a try and see if we reduce the self-referrals significantly. Smiley Happy