AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

How to track Document acces

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Everyone,

I implemented GoogleAnalytics on our joomla website via a plug-in and its working fine .

For the purpose of analysing email-ad campaings/ newsletters i am looking into tracking access to specific documents (pdf) or links.

Basically we send out emails with a link to a certain document on our webspace and i want to see how many people accessedthat link (or file).

Now my understanding is that i need to implement a kind of tracking code on the accessedsite so analytics gets a "ping". We won't be having any actual page that is being accesed though. We are basically hotlinking to the file in our mailing.

What  would be the best way to achieve what i am looking for. 

Thanks for the help

1 Expert replyverified_user

How to track Document acces

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, try my method leveraging both server logs and Universal

http://juliencoquet.com/en/2013/04/05/track-pdf-downloads-with-google-universal-analytics-no-javascr...

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan