AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

How to set a custom variable without a cookie

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need a way to filter out views from users that have accounts as they browse the logged out parts of my site. I only want to see views from users that have not yet signed up. I know I can achieve this with custom variables which add a cookie to the users browser.

The issue I have is that my application is used a lot in schools and universities, which frequently wipe cookies for security purposes. They also often have dynamic IP addresses, making IP filtering very unreliable also. Is there an alternative way to do this without cookies or IP filtering?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Toby B
January 2016

Re: How to set a custom variable without a cookie

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Toby,

The easiest way to get reasonable results here is to exclude the sessions of users that have accessed your log-in areas of your website by a custom segment using the page URL (assuming that login areas have unique URLs).

Better is to apply a user-scope custom dimension to users during login (i.e. storing a persistent cookie) and exclude them by a custom segment using that custom dimension. Then, next time they access your site (and haven't deleted their cookies) they are excluded even if they don't log-in in that session.

Cookie deletion is a common issue – therefore, cookies should be reset with each login.

Christoph

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Toby B
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Toby,

The easiest way to get reasonable results here is to exclude the sessions of users that have accessed your log-in areas of your website by a custom segment using the page URL (assuming that login areas have unique URLs).

Better is to apply a user-scope custom dimension to users during login (i.e. storing a persistent cookie) and exclude them by a custom segment using that custom dimension. Then, next time they access your site (and haven't deleted their cookies) they are excluded even if they don't log-in in that session.

Cookie deletion is a common issue – therefore, cookies should be reset with each login.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Christoph,

I think the best solution it seems is to use a combination of the two. I'll just have to accept that no solution will be completely watertight but if I spend my time fussing over exact figures then I'm not really doing analytics correctly anyway!

Toby

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
That's right - we all know that marketing is an 80% science ... ;-)