Analytics
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

How to implement time on page tracking on 'one page' wordpress website

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

First of all, let's start with a disclaimer: i'm a coding novice. To elaborate, my current knowledge is limited to HTML basics.

Now for the actual question:

We are running a Wordpress website and have currently enabled analytics through a WordPress plugin that injects the tracking code on all of our pages.

What we would like to use analytics for, is to track the time users spend on our pages. There's only one little problem: our website has been designed in such a way, that nearly all information our visitors need is located on our home page.

Now I can't tell if our visitors actually read our page or not because if they did and were not inclined to browse our site further, the time isn't registered by analytics. Same goes for our AdWords landing pages.

I’ve already looked around a bit for possible solutions and have, at the very least, found out it should be possible by implementing custom code. Currently, I'm searching for pointers to a comprehensive guide on how to implement this, suggestions for alternative solutions or anything else you might consider helpful in this case.

With kind regards,

Twan van der Leij

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to implement time on page tracking on 'one page' wordpress web

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Twan,

Generally, that's not a basic task. In order to to get some reasonable data, you first have to decide what kind of user interaction should define your time on page. Basically, you may measure almost every interaction a user is doing on a page with corresponding effort. Using Google Tag Manager (GTM) is favourable for such tasks. But even then, it's often quite tricky to do - see e.g. [1]. So I'm afraid that I have no simple solution here.

Christoph

[1] http://www.simoahava.com/analytics/measure-serp-bounce-time-with-gtm/

Re: How to implement time on page tracking on 'one page' wordpress web

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

Thank you for your reply.

I'll read through the article you linked me and see how far I'll get, as soon as i have the time.

With kind regards,

Twan van der Leij