Analytics
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

How to identify same original page in different experiments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to figure out how to identify the experiment in which the original page is involved. For example, I run two experiments back to back on the same page, and I calculate manually the versions' ROI based on some external factors (like third-party commissions). To be able to compare apples to apples, I need to understand during which experiment the original page converted how much. The issue is that when I retrieve my third-party reports, I'll get these as referring URL for experiment #123:

www.example.com/original-page/

www.example.com/experiment123-v2/

www.example.com/experiment123-v3/

And these for experiment #124:

www.example.com/original-page/

www.example.com/experiment124-v2/

www.example.com/experiment124-v3/

How can I differentiate between the two original pages?

I tried adding ?experiment=123 in the original's URL when setting up the experiment, but I get confusing results, like a big chunk of traffic still visiting the same page without that parameter.

Can anyobdy help?

Thanks

Chris

Re: How to identify same original page in different experiments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In case somebody has the same problem I ended up adding a script on the original page which extracts the experiment's number from the GA snippet and adds it to all outgoing links as URL query parameter.