AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

How to get pageview count for a subset of pages that are not identifiable by URL or other attributes

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, imagine a website about pets that contains two types of pages: Cats and Dogs

I need a pageview count limited to Cat pages.

Cats and Dogs pages are distinguished by internal attributes (like a picture) that are not explicit in URL or title parameters or substrings, so I cannot find a condition that is true for Cats and false for Dogs (like an C or a D in the URL).

Maybe I should fire an event with a label Cats for every Cat page viewed ?

Or should I create a custom dimension? Like if i set a dimension Cat=true at hit level, then can I build a segment restricted to Cat=true or that won't work because segments are session or user based?

That's puzzling!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alessandro V
March 2017

How to get pageview count for a subset of pages that are not identifiable by URL or other attributes

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

It may be.

So you have to do two things.

First create a new view in which you only include pages with the virtual page views and secondly the view in which you are currently working create an exclude filter to exclude the virtual page view.That would do it.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Why not use Virtual page view?

When ever some one clicks on Cat or Dog send a virtual page view and then count it as you like.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That would inflate the overall pageview count, wouldn't it ?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alessandro V
March 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

It may be.

So you have to do two things.

First create a new view in which you only include pages with the virtual page views and secondly the view in which you are currently working create an exclude filter to exclude the virtual page view.That would do it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The fact is, that I have already 7 views split for 7 different countries.

So I'd need 7 extra views, which is possible, but a bit cahotic.

Also, since I need to analyze the Cats pageview data in relation to overall website traffic, a view with just virtual pageviews would cut out all other pageviews (besides Cats&Dogs specific pages there are many other pages).

Perhaps the new views should just be replies of current views without then adding the virtual pageview filter.

But anyway I'll take your suggestion into consideration, thank you Soumik

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

You can do the simplest thing then.Create virtual  page view.Create two advanced segments which will one include your cats and other dogs page..Now use advanced segment to see your overall data v/s cats data v/s dog data in the same time in google analytics .You can compare 4 segments at a time. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Remember that virtual pageviews inflate pageviews count. I'll always need extra views.

Anyway, albeit not ideal I think your solution is acceptable, so I'll mark it as such.

Thanks.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Alessando.So kind of you.But my friend My idea is simple .Yes,Virtual page view does inflate page views.That is why I have also mentioned the use of advance segments with virtual page views.

Just think this below:

Suppose your original pageview of the site is 70:

Suppose you create virtual page views and it inflates you get total number of page views say 100.

Now when you create an advance segment for say your dog page you can see what the actual number of you dog pages as virtual page views i.e.30

100-70=30 simple maths.

same for cat pages also.

What more you can also compare your dog page and cat pages with your original overll pages in a single graph with comparison.It is awesome.Google analytics is awesome.I love it.