Analytics
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

How to fix new property's GTM tag got tracking ID of old property's urchin.js that's used in adwords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Basically, I want to know how to swap the Tracking ID's assuming that works w/o screwing up adwords etc. that uses the old Tracking ID.

Background:

Old (many years) property was pre GTM and uses urchin.js using tracking ID ###-1.

I recently setup a new property in GTM and somehow got that old property tracking ID ###-1 as what to use in the new GTM's universal analytics tag setup.

More recently I added the OLD property into GTM as well and its universal analytics tag setup got a newer tracking ID ###-2.

So the new property has the old property's ID and the addition of old property to GTM got a new tracking ID ###-2!

How do I get the new property to use the newer tracking ID ###-2 and the old one now in GTM to use the ###-1 that urchin.js used?

I'm concerned that just swapping them in the tag setups with cause all sorts of havoc.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

How to fix new property's GTM tag got tracking ID of old property's urchin.js that's used in adwords

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Kabbak,

There is no need for a new property unless you are deploying that to a different domain (while keeping the existing one).

All you need to do is take your old tracking id e.g. xxxx-1  and set up a Universal Tag in GA.   Then remove the urchin.js code from the site and publish your tag.  Your data will now be collected using analytics.js (it's been processed as Universal for a couple years now.) 

That's it... easy as pie.  Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply, but not really the problem I was hoping to address.

I have all the properties I need, but was concerned that they had acquired tracking ID's in reverse order of site's creation. Because one was many years older I didn't want to jeopardize its history in adwords/analytics by swapping the tracking IDs in GTM to match historical order.

Turns out it's all moot since once assigned, a tracking ID cannot be changed. E.g., while you can change it in a GTM tag, you can't in analytics or Adwords if ever linked.

I haven't found a complete explanation of the binding/use of tracking ID's to a property's web pages and how that ID affects subsequent analytics of the website.

Thanks again.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

My point was that you did not need to create or use a new property; you can just use the old xxxxx-1.  That said, GA and AdWords are linked on the property level, this sends additional data back to GA on many AdWords dimensions that you could not normally get by simply autotagging or using utm parameters -- things like cost and ROAS form your goal and ecommerce values.

My recommendation is that you continue to use the old tracking id that was tied to your urchin JS -- just deploy in through GTM and then you don't have to change anything.

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The "New" property is a new website independent and unrelated to the "OLD" property website and that was created as we needed to track another site. The "New" site's creation had nothing to do with fixing tracking ID assignment since there was no confusion prior to adding the "new" property.

Sorry there was confusion about what I meant.

I think Google should do a detailed job of explaining what the seemingly important tracking ID is actually used for and consequences of its manipulation.

My two cents.

Thanks.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Kabbak,

Yes, in that case a second property is definitely warranted. 

For anyone that stumbles across this, here is the help doc on Account structure:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1102152?hl=en

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn