Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

How to Fix a Coding Mismatch

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a coding mismatch and am trying to figure out how to fix it. 

It looks like the tracking code Google sees for the website is different than the code that's in my google analytics account. I'm not sure how to fix this? 

I'd either like to update the tracking code that google sees for my website to the one that's in my google analytics account, or change the code in my google analytics account to the one that google sees for my website. 

When explaining the code mismatch, google shared the code it saw. I verified it through code-finder add-on thing in Google Chrome. Now, I can not find a single article that explains how to fix this mismatch. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to Fix a Coding Mismatch

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Are you sure the tracking code you are seeing on the site is not a 3rd party tracking code?
eg vimeo video adds their own tracking code to track videos
some 3rd party sites such (wix for example) also add their own tracking to sites built on their platform

Are you the site owner & has anyone else ever had access to the website code in order to edit it and add ga tracking?

If you can provide a link to the site, that will allow one of us to take a quick look via browser so as to better assist you

Thanks
Bronwyn :-)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
www.davidthorne.me

And, the problem is I made a tracking code through another e-mail, but then
wanted to use a new e-mail address for tracking since I was leaving my old
job. Now, my old e-mail address is dead and the tracking isn't working. So,
the new code, used with my new e-mail address isn't working and I received
a coding mismatch. I'm not sure how to fix it.

Hope that makes more sense.
Thanks!!!!!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks for the clarification :-)
You have two options,
1) Quickest and easiest -

Change the tracking code on the website to the tracking code associated with the new account and new email address.
Data should begin tracking in 4-24hrs.
or
2) Since the old email address no longer works, you might want to try an account recovery to access the old data and account, however they might not be able to give you any access, or may not be able to give administrative access at the GA ACCOUNT level - which limits the functionality eg cant create google analytics filters and other issues
however should you want to try this route then there is a comprehensive post by Niall in the following thread on how to go about doing this (its the one marked as best answer)
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/Regaining-access-to-your-Go...

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
How do I do option 1? I'd love to just change the tracking code on the website to track with the tracking code I presently have in my google analytics account?

So, on my website, how do I change the tracking code?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Your site seems to be using Genesis with the Agency Pro child theme
Genesis has a Theme Settings option to Enter scripts or code you would like output to wp_head():

Remove the old tracking code that is currently entered and add the new one for your current Analytics account.