AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

How do I track clicks on suggested keywords from in-site search?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A client of ours want to track search in Google Analytics with better accuracy.

The search system that they currently use is Celebros.

How should they best track search events (user types in search box, user clicks on search suggestion, user hits return on search).

When the user types something into the box, the search bar provides suggestions like below:

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 14.31.25.png

How can I track if the user clicks on one of these suggested keywords or products?

The Site Search overview report in Google analytics will tell me how many people used it, but what I want to know is how many people clicked on a suggested keyword, how many people clicked on a suggested product, and how many people clicked enter without clicking on suggestions.

Any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

I had a similar challenge with a client a few years ago. We asked the developer to pass the suggestions as a search query on the results page; so your in case it would be something like q=fridge or q=Whirlpool 70 30 Integrated Fridge Freezer.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ah that's a good idea - I'll pass that on to our developers. Thank you!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Were you also tracking these as events?

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

No, I don't think so but you could do that. Once we had the queries identified then we could segment out all the visits which were using search; as I'm sure you've seen, they are usually a valuable group! If you're using GTM there may well be a way to add the search query via GTM but it should not be a big problem for a developer to add this modification to the site.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.