Analytics
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

How Does a 301 Redirect Affect Referall Info and Do I need Cross Domain Trac

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone, thanks in advance for the help.
Here's the situation-

A client of mine used to have 3 different domains....

domainlong.com

domain.com

membershipsite.com

In addition to Google Analytics code on webinarjam.... 

(Note that we didn't have cross-domain tracking set up before)

We're moving everything to domain.com.   We have a landing page at domainlong.com/webinar-landing-page that we want to 301 redirect to domain.com/webinar-landing-page

Would we need to set up cross-domain tracking for domainlong.com and domain.com or would adding domainlong.com to the exclusion list suffice?  

As of now we're planning to set up cross domain tracking for domain.com and webinarjam (since that's part of our sales funnel)

How Does a 301 Redirect Affect Referall Info and Do I need Cross Domain Trac

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

From what I understand you are only operating out of the two domains (domain.com and webinarjam)? If you are redirecting traffic from domainlong.com to domain.com adding domainlong.com to the exclusion list should treat sessions from that domain as direct when landing on the domain.com page. You could also check if the referrer information is retained during the redirect by using a redirect chain browser extension.

From my perspective just referral exclusion list will suffice.