AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

How Can I Stop Tracking Pages That Don't Exist and Ignoring Pages That Do?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

By choosing: "Behavior" -> "Site Content" -> "All Pages"

The "Page" heading lists only 29 pages. When there are many more pages that include the tracking code. Both the page named "/" and "/index.htm" are listed there. The page named "/" clearly isn't an actual page. So I've been trying to understand:

1. Why is there a listing for page named "/" when there is not actually a page there?
2. Can I merge the data to the home page "/index.htm" ?
3. Even though the tracking code is on all of the pages, why is it only tracking 29 pages?

GoogleAnalyticsDuiTampaBay_.png

Re: How Can I Stop Tracking Pages That Don't Exist and Ignoring Pages That Do?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi WF Casey,

Ad.1 There is a listing of "/" and "/index.html" because your visitor enter it te way www.example.com and not www.example.com/index.html. The latter is your internal redirection. That's why you see it seperately.

Ad. 2 You can merge it in Administration -> View settings. There you can find field "Default page". Just enter index.htm there and it should work like a charm. Screenshot: http://imgur.com/vPaxtxW

Ad. 3 If you are absolutely sure that code is on all pages and it's working then the only explanation is that the rest were just not visited. I checked your page and it seems that every page that I opened is properly tracked.