AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Hi, would anyone be of help if I have this onclick code setup properly

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanking you in advance

Have set is up but have no idea if it is correct, I have the Category setup as PhoneCall, Action as Click and Label as StylistPage. Not sure about if this part is right or wrong _gaq.push.

<code><a href="tel:0400000000" onclick="_gaq.push(['_trackEvent', 'PhoneCall', 'Click', StylistPage']);"> <strong>0400000000</strong</code>

My two cents some really example would have been great, have read so much and watch so many videos I am starting to go cross-eyed. I was taught KISS, keep simply stupid.

Kindest Regards

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Hi, would anyone be of help if I have this onclick code setup properly

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hey John,

The code you're referring to is the old code. You should have updated to universal analytics since and should be using this format:
onclick="ga('send', 'event', 'PhoneCall', 'Click', StylistPage');

This example is the one I'd recommend: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events#examples

To know more about switching to universal analytics, read this: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/upgrade/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arjun R,

Thank you for that, just one final question if I may have taken your advice and changed the code is this now correct.

<code><a href="tel:0400000000" onclick="ga('send', {hitType: 'event', eventCategory: 'PhoneCall', eventAction: 'Click', eventLabel: 'StylistPage' });"> <strong>0400000000</strong</code>

Thanking you.
John

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hey John,

We tend to use your format of calling out hitType, eC, eA and eL, only when calling the send event command in a function. Here with onClick, I've seen that it works without that as well, so you can simply use onclick=ga('send', 'event', 'PhoneCall', 'Click', StylistPage');