AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Help: Tracking ID for two different domains?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Analysts! Smiley Happy

Here the situation: Our parent company has a website (eg. www.examples.com), and we also have website with a different domain (eg.www.example.ca). 

Currently, they are using one Google Analytics tracking ID to monitor all their website activities including ours.

The question is, which is better;

1. to use one tracking ID for the two domains

2. or use a separate tracking ID for each domain

NOTE: each division is responsible for their own website, sales and marketing.

I am proposing option #2 since it will allows us to get things done faster. However, I'm not sure which is better option?Any ideas? Finally, if option #2 is viable, could it cause "problems between the websites and different accounts"? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arthur L
January 2016

Re: Help: Tracking ID for two different domains?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
If the two sites are different, with different navigation, then separate tracking codes are appropriate.

If you need to view consolidated reports all the time and visitors bounce between the sites, then a single tracking code is appropriate.

in #2, the two codes (Properties) could be part of the same Google Analytics Account, which would allow for centralized user management while providing independence for pretty much everything else.

If there is even a remote possibility that the businesses could split at some distant future, then you should set them up with totally separate Google Analytics Accounts. It is not possible to split Properties apart if they are part of a single account, so someone would lose all of their web traffic history. Note that the same user logins could manage access to the two Google Analytics Accounts as well, it's just a little different.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arthur L
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
If the two sites are different, with different navigation, then separate tracking codes are appropriate.

If you need to view consolidated reports all the time and visitors bounce between the sites, then a single tracking code is appropriate.

in #2, the two codes (Properties) could be part of the same Google Analytics Account, which would allow for centralized user management while providing independence for pretty much everything else.

If there is even a remote possibility that the businesses could split at some distant future, then you should set them up with totally separate Google Analytics Accounts. It is not possible to split Properties apart if they are part of a single account, so someone would lose all of their web traffic history. Note that the same user logins could manage access to the two Google Analytics Accounts as well, it's just a little different.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I see. The two sites have the same web design, look and feel. It is based off the parent website.

Mike: I'm curious to learn more about #2? This would definitely satisfy both of our requirements. How would you go about it?
And just to be clear, option #2 will not "cause problems between websites and other Google accounts?

So, we'd be able to integrate one of the codes (Properties) with our PPC and Remarketing Account? And, therefore, we could have rights to management one of the properties (ie. our domain) without needing to have access to their domain account?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
What I am not getting from your responses is any reason whatsoever to actually share an Analytics account.if the websites share the design, but not the content, then they are independent and should be treated as such. Why (or who thinks) should the code be the same if your other marketing programs are independent?

Lots of websites use templates....yours happens to be a corporate one.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Mike,
It's a little complicated to explain and I'm not at liberty to say on this plateform. I'd like to take our discussions "offline". I've sent you a request on G+ account.
Hope to talk to you soon. Thank you for your time and prompt answers. Kudoos!