Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Help Measurement Protocol

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

If i implement measurement protocol code in my email template and configure it in a way that whenever someone opens my email a event hit is sent to GA.It is possible.

Now my question is does a new session is initiated in Google Analytics for this event hit or just it will create only a event not any session.

Any help is great.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Soumik Ghosh
June 2016

Re: Help Measurement Protocol

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Soumik,
your code will start a new session for that event.

Fil

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply.Can u please elaborate it more?It will be easy for me to understand.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
every time that you send data to google Analytics you send an hit.
An hit can be a pageview, an event, product impression, product click, promo impressions, promo click, or ecommerce transaction, refound

Google Analytics system will elaborate that data to export them to reporting interface.
Any first interaction from an user become a session.
So if you send data to google Analytics server from you email it will be translate in an hit and if the first hit, in a new session.

if the user that start that session will change source and medium traffic origin when send other data to Google Analytics server, it will generate a new session after the first one generated by the event on email.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply.I understand the concept.But is it logical to start a new sessions if we just sent an hit like i explained. Remember in the scenario i mentioned a hit is sent only when a user open a email .There is no interaction with the website for that user.It will far better if GA consider it only as event.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
you are forcing Google Analytics to do email tracking that is not its job.

usually i prefer to use other software specialized.

If you send an hit to GA, it will generate a new sessions and in your scenario it will make your data dirty.
what you can do it uses a different property to track mail open and one to track you website.
Or you can use a single property where you have different view
1 for website tracking
1 for email tracking
1 for email tracking + website tracking

in this way you will have email open data in one view, website in another view, the third view permit you to understand how to use both data together.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Soumik Ghosh
June 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you buddy