Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Graphs Showing Improper Data?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

To provide some context, I'm trying to create a network monitoring device using a Raspberry Pi that communicates with Google Analytics for a senior project. My Raspberry Pi has multiple scripts running TCP Dump that then uses PyCurl to send Google Analytics data. In short the scripts count the number of packets for each different protocol and then send that number to Google Analytics in the form of events.

The communication between the Raspberry Pi and Google Analytics seems to be fine as the Real-Time graph is showing all of the events for each individual protocol that I'm sending. However, in my custom dashboard, the graphs are acting strange. They seem to all be capping out at 500 total events for an entire day then dropping down to 0 events for the next day. The third day then shows data but caps at 500 again with the fourth day going back to 0. It keeps doing this same pattern even though the Real-Time events graph is showing data for all four days with each protocol having more than 1,000 events each day. The graphs are set to look at Total Events and they're separated for each protocol by filtering Event Labels. This way each protocol gets its own graph. They are all doing this same pattern of 500, 0, 500, etc.

I'm unsure what the problem is. Am I sending too much data to Google Analytics that makes it unable to keep up? Does Google Analytics think I'm spamming? Do I need some sort of premium service to show more than 500 events on a graph? Any information would be extremely helpful. Thank you in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Self-Bump (this is for my capstone project)

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Paul,

Well there is a limit of 500 hits per session.   Sounds like you are keeping your session alive consistently and constantly sending data.   Why you have none on the second day is a little puzzling as the session should reset at the end of the day as determined by your View settings.

Have you considered sending less frequently like one event for each hour where the value is the number of packets? or perhaps changing the cid for each hit? 

Best,

Theo Bennett 

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

Thank you so much for your response! I had no idea about the 500 hits per session cap. This would explain my issue perfectly.

I will absolutely try each of the resolutions that you have expressed. However, I do have a question about the less frequent resolution. The way my graphs are currently configured are by looking at Total Events as a metric and then filtering by Event Label for each different protocol to get graphs showing differing data. If I was to do the option you described, how would I get my graphs to show the proper data?

Respectfully,

Paul

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Paul,

You should still be able to filter in the same way and you can plot event value over time.

If nothing else you can create a custom segment for each type and compare the two.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn