AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google play referral traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Im a bit puzzled about google play referral traffic. Google seems to contradict itself.

First here they say a referral link should look like this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.example.application
&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle
%26utm_medium%3Dcpc
%26utm_term%3Drunning%252Bshoes
%26utm_content%3Dlogolink
%26utm_campaign%3Dspring_sale

But once inside  GA on the google play sources report, it says it should look like this:

http://example.com?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=referralsite&utm_campaign=apps

Which one is it? I've tried the first but it doesn't seem to work.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google play referral traffic

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Jaap O,

Thanks for posting on the Community. I’m going to look into this for you and update this thread when I have more information for you.

Krisha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Krisha, can't wait to finally solve this mystery Smiley Happy

jaap

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi Jaap,

I checked with our technical support team and this is the information they provided:

1. The example URL provided was a format used for Manually Tagged Web URLs.

WebURL.png

2. Which is different from a Google Play tagged URLs which looks exactly like what is mentioned in the article provided about Implementing Analytics Campaign Parameters to Google Play URLs.

GPlayURL.png

3. With this, you can simply generate your own Google Play URL this by using the Google Play URL Builder. This will also ensure that your URLs are tagged as it is advised by Google.

URLBuilder.png

4. Since the generated URL will have extra characters in it just like what is shown in the article, that URL can be decoded to a more readable form, by using the Google URL Decoder.

URLDecoded.png

Make sure you are formatting the link to Google Play correctly as outlined in this article about Implementing Analytics Campaign Parameters to Google Play URLs. Also, double-check the app is setup correctly to receive the referrer information. You may need to get in touch with your web developer to check the app implementation and to Test the Google Play Campaign Measurement prior to publishing.

Hope this helps.

Krisha