Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google analytics web propery ID is tracked twice help !! please

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When monitoring my site with the Google Tag Assistant I'm getting the "Same web property ID is tracked twice" warning.

On the initial load of the site everything is fine. However when any link is clicked the warning then appears. The site is a single page, with updates done via Ajax, and it seems that this may be causing the problem. As far as I can tell the analytics code is only included once in the <head> section of the page.

http://whatithinkabout.co.uk/Desktop/Main.aspx#!Home

Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Google analytics web propery ID is tracked twice help !! please

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

You can easily debug on the website with GA debugger:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jnkmfdileelhofjcijamephohjechhna

You can check in chrome, console tab with 'Preserve log' turned ON.

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi GA Guru,

Thanks for getting back to me. However I've already tried using the GA debugger, but don't see anything obvious in its trace that relates to the "tracking twice" warning I get out of Tag Assistant.

Here's a typical trace that the GA debugger gives:

GATrace.png

Above the red line is the trace from the first page load - the analytics seems to load and initialize correctly and at this point there's no warning from Tag Assistant.

When I then click on a link on the page the analytics trace shown below the red line is created and at this stage a second entry appears in the Tag Assistant and the warning about the web property being tracked twice is shown.

Can you see anything in this trace that would indicate what's going wrong?

Cheers,

Steve

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Have you configured any analytics in the tool where your website is built?

From view source it looks to have only a single reference to GA code.

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi GA Guru,

No - all the configuration is just in the single HTML page (which actually comes from the server as an .aspx page). The setup of the analytics is just defined in a script block on this page, so I can't figure out why its being reported as being tracked twice. Perhaps the Tag Assistant rescans the page when the URL changes (after an ajax link has been clicked) and then sees the same analytics configuration script again and then gives this as a warning. The output from the GA debugger looks as if everything is working as it should.

So I don't know if I've actually got a problem or not - everything may be fine. Then again on the other hand this may be resulting in incorrect analytics data being generated and I'd never know.

Thanks for taking a look at this.
Steve

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Pageview stats are correct. Second hit is for the event.

Goto: http://whatithinkabout.co.uk/Desktop/all-classes.js

look for: ga("send",

You see various times event tracking is being called, which is seen in debugging for the second hit being sent.

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for continuing to look at this for me.

So are you saying that my stats are correct and I shouldn't worry about this "web property ID is tracked twice" warning, or is it that the "ga('send'" events shouldn't be there?

Thanks.