Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google analytics - Update the Ecommerce transation Revenue.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For google analytics and integrations experts Smiley Happy

I'm trying to change the Ecommerce Revenue of a Transation Id  in google analytics transations.

Screenshot_31.png

Everytime a form is submitted in our website, a Transation id is generated in google analytics ecommerce, but the purchase is made in the future (offline). So, we need to update the Revenue of this user later in google analytics. This is my problem.

Is it possible?

We've tried in the past linking the transation ID Revenue (from our crm) to google analytics (using Data import). the Transation Id did not replaced the old value , instead was created a new product with a new date, a new source and medium and a new revenue associated to Transation Id.

Can you help me? Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mi C
August

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi... yes you can do this.  You can use data import but you'll need to look at the date of the original transaction and the date you uploaded the data. e.g. original transaction for 10 euros (lead value?) happens on July 1st, real transaction of 100 Euros happens on July 11, you upload July 15.  First you'll need to add the difference between your original transaction and the total sale.. in this case 90.  Then you'll need to use a date range that includes both July 1 and July 15 to see that it happened. 

You can also use the regular api to do this or, what I prefer, the measurement protocol.   One thing to keep in mind is that you need to capture the client id AND pass it back in as well or the attribution will break.

More on the MP:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mi C
August

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi... yes you can do this.  You can use data import but you'll need to look at the date of the original transaction and the date you uploaded the data. e.g. original transaction for 10 euros (lead value?) happens on July 1st, real transaction of 100 Euros happens on July 11, you upload July 15.  First you'll need to add the difference between your original transaction and the total sale.. in this case 90.  Then you'll need to use a date range that includes both July 1 and July 15 to see that it happened. 

You can also use the regular api to do this or, what I prefer, the measurement protocol.   One thing to keep in mind is that you need to capture the client id AND pass it back in as well or the attribution will break.

More on the MP:

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Theo,

I tried to make a manual test in measure protocol - https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/hit-builder/ , I can't find cid (user Id) , I don't have this custom dimension, I haven't setup this custom dimension in google analytics, only the Transation ID.

This parameter(cid) is required to make this update?

Thanks

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Mi C,

The cid is required.  You can make something up and pass it back in, the problem with that is it will always show as direct none because it won't tie back to the cid of the original session and you'll have a hard time getting any proper campaign attribution. 

There are many ways to get the cid, then you'll have to store it in your own systems and pass back with the MP hit.   You can also create a custom dimension for it and store it if you want but you don't need to (although I would).

Are you using GTM?

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, great.

Can we use a API to make the update/transfer bulk data to UA?

Where can I see that information?

Thanks Theo.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

All of the info is here in the help doc

You're basically just using a REST API to post the payload over to GA.

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Theo

Sorry, just one more thing,

My website don't have login option.

We gonna try generate a user ID when the transaction is done.

If we do that , the analytics will lose the previous visits of this user?

This is important for the Attribution Model. I need all the paths to make the analysis of source/medium Revenue.

Thanks

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Not a problem.  You just need to use the cid.  Are you using Google Tag Manager or is this a straight GA implementation?

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks,

I'm using GTM.

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

Good, then this is easy.   Browse on over to GTM king Simo Ahava's site; specifically, this post:

https://www.simoahava.com/gtm-tips/use-customtask-access-tracker-values-google-tag-manager/

That will walk you through how to capture the cid, then store it in your CRM and pass it back in with you MP push.

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn