Analytics
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google analytics Tracking Code Problem

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need help figuring out how to, or where to paste the Google Analytics tracking code. I don´t know why I can´t paste the tracking code on the source code of the web page that Im trying to work with. It won´t even let me type anything. So I don´t know if I am going to the right place to paste the tracking code or not. And everywhere I look for help, it only says ¨paste the tracking code before the <head> tag on every web page you want to track¨, but nobody explains how to get to that source code page or worse, what to do in my situation where it won´t let me paste anything.

Your hellp will be appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Juan Sebastian P
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks for posting back @Juan Sebastian P
The website in the lessons is an imaginary website for the purpose of the lessons.
As per the instructions on one of the lessons.. 
Create a practice account that is set up to track digital assets for a hypothetical outdoor retail store, which sells their products online. These assets include both a website (www.myoutdoorstore.com) and a mobile application.

You just need to create the google analytics account so you can configure it as per the lesson instructions. and so you can do the written theory side of things for how to install the tracking code.

Tracking code gets installed in a variety of ways..depends on the website, the web host, the platform.
Usually for a html website, you would need to use ftp and edit the website pages in a text editor.
Something like a google site has its own method for adding the tracking code which does not involve

editing any site code.. a site hosted by GoDaddy might involve the use of a built in site editor provided

by GoDaddy to add the tracking code snippet. Wordpress.com doesnt allow the use of the tracking code at all

unless you are using one of their paid plans.

If you want to access a GA account populated with real data to look at for the purpose of learning, then there is the 

demo account that can be used.. more info on that here
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6367342?hl=en

For learning how to install the tracking code itself in a real site.. google's blogger is free and it's html template code can be edited to manually to add the tracking code snippet. 

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Juan Sebastian P :-)

How do you usually make edits to the code on your website?
Do you usually use some kind of built in editor provided by your site host?
Can you please provide the url of your site, it is often useful for ppl providing help to you

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn,

Thanks for getting back to me!

Actually its not my website, I am taking the Goggle Analytics Course and they give you a website to practice on, and its ¨www.myoutdoorstore.com¨ And I have never made any edits on any website code. So I dont really know how to proceed.

Hope you could help me with that info I just provided you.

Thanks again!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Juan Sebastian P
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thanks for posting back @Juan Sebastian P
The website in the lessons is an imaginary website for the purpose of the lessons.
As per the instructions on one of the lessons.. 
Create a practice account that is set up to track digital assets for a hypothetical outdoor retail store, which sells their products online. These assets include both a website (www.myoutdoorstore.com) and a mobile application.

You just need to create the google analytics account so you can configure it as per the lesson instructions. and so you can do the written theory side of things for how to install the tracking code.

Tracking code gets installed in a variety of ways..depends on the website, the web host, the platform.
Usually for a html website, you would need to use ftp and edit the website pages in a text editor.
Something like a google site has its own method for adding the tracking code which does not involve

editing any site code.. a site hosted by GoDaddy might involve the use of a built in site editor provided

by GoDaddy to add the tracking code snippet. Wordpress.com doesnt allow the use of the tracking code at all

unless you are using one of their paid plans.

If you want to access a GA account populated with real data to look at for the purpose of learning, then there is the 

demo account that can be used.. more info on that here
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6367342?hl=en

For learning how to install the tracking code itself in a real site.. google's blogger is free and it's html template code can be edited to manually to add the tracking code snippet. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank You very much!