AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Tag Manager - losing Analytics data after installation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I recently installed google tag manager so I could install Hotjar. It all seemed to work perfectly fine until I started snooping around google analytics. Note: I have not reinstalled analytics yet through tag manager.

I seem to be missing data like some transactions and visits. For example: past week I've had 30 transactions, but google analytics only shows 19 of them. Before I started using tag manager it would show me all of the transactions.

Is this a common issue? What steps would I have to take to fix it?

Thank you in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, Jeroen e,

Your question is a bit vague. Would you be able to elaborate a little on your implementation? Did you have both GA and GTM snippet on your site (all pages)? How are you tracking transactions? Are you using standard ecommerce or enhanced?

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Re: Google Tag Manager - losing Analytics data after installation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My apologies for being a bit vague.  I have both the GA and GTM snipper on all of the pages. The transactions are tracked through the Ecommerce tab. I currently use the standard Ecommerce analytics overview. 

Does the GTM snippet interfere with the GA snippet somehow? Would reinstalling GA through GTM solve my issue?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi, Jeroen, thanks for clarifying.

It would be helpful to consolidate your tracking and stick with GTM. Having GA won't necessarily be messing up your data, but probably best to rule it out completely as being a possible source of the issue.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn