Analytics
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Tag Assistant Invalid or missing web property ID

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I keep getting an error through Google Tag Assistant "Invalid or missing account ID" on my site.  However I have implemented the snippet the same as I have on every other site. 

As a test I replaced the GTM ID with another (keeping the code snippet exactly as it was) and I encountered no errors in Google Tag Assistant. The Key difference is the number of characters for the GTM ID, in all of my other snippets they have been 6 characters, this one is 7 characters. Bellow is an example of the snippet I am using (placed right under the body tag)

<!-- Google Tag Manager -->
<noscript><iframe src="//www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-XXXXXX"
height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden"></iframe></noscript>
<script>(function(w,d,s,l,i){w[l]=w[l]||[];w[l].push({'gtm.start':
new Date().getTime(),event:'gtm.js'});var f=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],
j=d.createElement(s),dl=l!='dataLayer'?'&l='+l:'';j.async=true;j.src=
'//www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id='+i+dl;f.parentNode.insertBefore(j,f);
})(window,document,'script','dataLayer','GTM-XXXXXX');</script>
<!-- End Google Tag Manager -->

please advise.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
I just created a new container and it had 7 characters after the GTM- with my older original containers having only the 6.

The GTM container code and installation of the container code has changed within the past month or so.
I suggest going back into GTM and getting current copies of the code

for the applicable GTM container and reinstalling it.

It is now in two parts with each part being installed in a different place 
to each other within the site source code.

See if this maybe rectifies the issue.
Also was the current container published and active with a relevant GA Tag configured correctly within it?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I tried using the updated version of the snipped placing the script portion in the head and the ifram portion after the opening body tag but continue to get the same error in tag assistant.  When I am in preview mode tags fire correctly and I am also looking at the live report in analytics which also is tracking correctly as I navigate through the site... so it seems like a false error?  

Yep, I have a current and relevant GA tag in a published container. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We experienced the same problem as mentioned above yesterday. Not sure how to fix it. Any suggestions?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I encountered the same problem and I found nothing about it. Does anyone find a solution ?

Thanks a lot.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am sure it is a limitation in Tag Assistant.  They are looking for 4-6 character strings for the GTM ID and now that we are giving them 7 they are not validating.  Seems like Google needs to update the code for Tag Assistant Smiley Wink

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think you are on to something, this also happened back in 2013 when they upgraded to 5 characters:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/tag-manager/eEskLwMI3Ts

As long as GA is getting real-time data we should be good. Hopefully they fix it soon because it's driving me crazy! Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

haha thanks for finding that! Maybe they stop checking for character limits on the id, and stick to an algorithm to check validity of the ID without length being a parameter.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes I think also this is a bug in Tag Assistant. I just give comment and review in the extension store. But the tag is running and triggering well

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am also faced same problem...

May be this is not our mistake at all....

Tag Assistant are looking for 4-6 character strings for the GTM ID and now that we are giving them 7 they are not validating.  Seems like Google needs to update the code for Tag Assistant.

For new GTM account Id is 7 characters given now a days after GTM like [GTM-XXXXXXX]