AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Debug Showing Client ID on one page and Visitor ID on another

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello - 

Our site has a lot of self referrals. I have isolated the flow from our main domain home page xxx.com to a sub-domain sub.xxx.com/register. 

I used the Google Debugger and followed my client ID. On the home page, it showed as Client ID, but when I moved to the sub-domain that same number was listed under Visitor ID.

I also noticed that on the sub-domain it is showing ga.js code version and not analytics.js. However, when I checked with our developer, I was told that the analytics.js code is on the sub-domain.

My question: Does having ga.js on our sub-domain play any part in the self-referral issue?

We have already

1) Added the domain (www.xxx.com and xxx.com) to the referral exclusion list. Adjusted the session length to 14 days (was originally 6 months)

2) Added cross domain auto-linker coding

Still we are getting self-referrals and NEW users as self referrals - which makes me believe that it's not just waiting for the cookies to expire as listed here: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Referral-Spam-Traffic/Referrals-Showing-After-Adding-Sub-D... Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, I should mention we're using Segment.com for all of our tracking code.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Julie B
February 2016

Re: Google Debug Showing Client ID on one page and Visitor ID on anoth

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Julie B,

Definitely you may need to further investigate the mixing of classic GA on your subdomain and UA on your main domain. Cross sub-domain tracking may be broken due to the way the sessions are handled from one to the other. Add your subdomains to the RE list only applies if all your trackers are based on UA.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Julie B
February 2016

Re: Google Debug Showing Client ID on one page and Visitor ID on anoth

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Julie B,

Definitely you may need to further investigate the mixing of classic GA on your subdomain and UA on your main domain. Cross sub-domain tracking may be broken due to the way the sessions are handled from one to the other. Add your subdomains to the RE list only applies if all your trackers are based on UA.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn