Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics tracking and Tag Manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

When starting a new Google Analytics account (for a new WordPress -site), is there any reason/benefits to not installing the tracking via tag manager?

I´m used to copying and pasting in the tracking code for Google Analytics into my sites, but now I have been reading a lot about tag-manager. Although I don´t see any immediate use for it, I would like to do the smartest and most future proof thing.

...is tag manager mostly for shops?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics tracking and Tag Manager

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi AgguK,

No there really isn't - in my opinion. You have to install the code anyway and most customizations or enhancements require modifications to the tracking code; so why not make it easier on yourself and give yourself more flexibility and the ability to easily make said modifications? Also whenever the next version of GA comes out, it will take you two moments to update the code. Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

To give an amplified answer to @Theo Bennett, I use Tag Manager exclusively in WordPress sites. It makes it incredibly easy to ad in AdWords tags, Facebook pixels, Twitter conversions, BingAd pixels, etc. I can also add in quicky things like HTML blocks - we had a client recently affected by severe weather and it took two minutes to throw an HTML banner over the top of the page that ran for a few hours. I also add in JSON-LD schema via GTM. It does give you a lot of flexibility without having to add code to WP.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Theo and Phillip!

So even if I end up using nothing but the standard/default measurement from google analytics, Tag manager would be the recommended set up path?

I´m trying to work out a workflow when working with clients, earlier I have been guiding them to create an analytics account then adding me as admin...I guess I just need to guide my clients to also set up a Tag manager account and add me as admin there too?

Is there a smarter way for setting up analytics for clients?

Thanks!

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi AgguK,

If this is for clients, then I double down on the recommendation. Having GTM on the site allows you to be agile without having access to the site and to quickly implement customizations or modifications to the tracker (and deploy other tracking as @Phillip B mentioned).

Yes, the client should also open an account and give you access to the account (Edit) and the container (Publish).

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Theo, I really appreciate it!
But I´m actually still trying to motivate why I should introduce another product into my workflow that I don’t see any immediate use for
I´m the web developer with access to the code and at this time I don´t see the need for any tags other than google analytics...surely I´m missing out on something ;-)
But the sites I build are mostly traditional corporate information.
Would it be easy to change from "traditional" tracking code to Tag manager tracking code if I discover a use for it at a later time?
Thanks!