AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics switch to Analytics Universal

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My name is Danny 

Since last month we updated our code to Google Analytics Universal (I know it's late)

But, some strange thing happened.

When I checked my account we almost lost like 1 million unique users and many normal visitors. But the page views are still normal.

Could anyone tell me if there is a problem with my account or is this a normal thing with Google Analytics Universal?   

Sessions September 2015
8.0 million
Users September 2015
Page Views September 2015 

30 million

Sessions October 2015

7.3 million

Users September 2015

4.5 million

Page Views September 2015

30 million

Thanks for helping

Danny 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics switch to Analytics Universal

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Danny
This looks about right. There was a significant change in how universal analytics measured and even how it defined a session and a user.
Here's some reading on this topic that should explain it for you:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2731565?hl=en
http://marketingland.com/time-switch-universal-analytics-87862

One thing not mentioned is the sampling as well as the fact that these are two different time periods so there's obviously going to be some difference warranted. For example, you may sell back to school items on your site. In October, it's a natural and understandable decrease.

It's been a while since this has cropped up, you are indeed a little late Smiley Happy Did you not run both in tandem for the switch using GTM? If not, unfortunately, we wont be able to dive any deeper than what has been mentioned already. Hope that helps somewhat.

Re: Google Analytics switch to Analytics Universal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave.

Wow OK,

For me this means a drop of sessions and users of 50%.
(We changed the code in the middle of October)