Analytics
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics stopped tracking my blog views.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

2 days ago, Google Analytics stopped tracking traffic on my blog. I'm 99% sure I didn't make any changes to my sites apart from posting 1 article a day. The only thing I can think of that changed was this Wordpress plugin called Wordfence which had an update somewhere around the same time. It has been tracking fine for me for a few weeks now and it suddenly stopped. I can verify that my blog is still receiving traffic, it just stopped registering on GA.  How can I resolve this? 

My website: BinaryScamReview.Com

Thank you,

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Surenjay S
May 2016

Re: Google Analytics stopped tracking my blog views.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
The tracking code is on your site and installed and not missing

however Google Tag Assistant is showing the following errors

No HTTP response detected

Missing analytics.js script

Chrome console shows the following error: Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token < Line 93

After taking a closer look, the issue is a missing closing </script> tag on an unrelated piece of code that in turn is affecting everything that comes after it.

From the site source code:

h6 { font-family: 'Roboto Slab'; font-weight: normal; font-size: 16px; color: #222222; }</style> <script type="text/javascript">//
jQuery(document).ready(function($){
$('.ad-300 a').each(function(){
if( $(this).attr('href') && 0 != $(this).attr('href').indexOf('#') ) {
$(this).attr('target', '_blank');
}
});
});

</script> This closing script tag is missing
<link rel="icon" href="http://i0.wp.com/binaryscamreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Binary-Scam-Review-Avatar-1.png?fit... sizes="32x32" />

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
you need to make sure the website url entered into the Property Settings page and any View Settings pages is entered without the www
You are using a plugin to add the tracking code. Have you checked with the plugin creator on wordpress.org if there are any known issues/incompatabilities?
Usually with 3rd party analytics plugins not working as expected, you need to follow up with the plugin creator.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Bronwyn,

Thanks for your reply. Thing is it's been working for weeks with no problems. Could the property and view setting still be a problem? I'm a noob at all this since this is my first website and it's 1 month old. How can I access view setting and property setting? I thought of asking the plugin creator but they take days/weeks to reply since it's a free plugin. I'll do that anyway but I figured someone here would have a quicker solution.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Surenjay S
May 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The tracking code is on your site and installed and not missing

however Google Tag Assistant is showing the following errors

No HTTP response detected

Missing analytics.js script

Chrome console shows the following error: Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token < Line 93

After taking a closer look, the issue is a missing closing </script> tag on an unrelated piece of code that in turn is affecting everything that comes after it.

From the site source code:

h6 { font-family: 'Roboto Slab'; font-weight: normal; font-size: 16px; color: #222222; }</style> <script type="text/javascript">//
jQuery(document).ready(function($){
$('.ad-300 a').each(function(){
if( $(this).attr('href') && 0 != $(this).attr('href').indexOf('#') ) {
$(this).attr('target', '_blank');
}
});
});

</script> This closing script tag is missing
<link rel="icon" href="http://i0.wp.com/binaryscamreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Binary-Scam-Review-Avatar-1.png?fit... sizes="32x32" />

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OMG you're amazing! How did you even figure that out?
Thank you so much. I've just made the changes.
Will update this post when it does.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Make sure to clear the cache from the caching plugin or the changes will not take affect

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Done! It worked. Thank you so much once again.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Happy to be of help :-)