AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics on two domains

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there Analysts! Man Happy

My client used to run a blog under their domain, e.g. example.com/theblog. This blog is updated & managed by another agency. It's a WordPress blog & initially, we had given the GA code to the agency to be placed on the blog. Everything was going smoothly and suddenly after about 2-3 weeks of running this blog, the client along with the other agency decide to completely move out the blog to a different domain. So, now, all of the content has been moved from example.com/theblog to thenewexampleblog.com.

Presumably, the other agency would like to have control on the blog and not depend upon my agency for GA related stuff. So, fine. Now, the blog lives in it's own domain. It does not have any back-link to the parent website. They have created their own GA account and have placed their GA code on the blog as well. Now, the blog has two GA codes. One of the parent website and one theirs.

So, my question is:

1. Is there a need to track the blog via my GA code, now that they have their own? You see I'd like to know how well the blog is performing...
  2. How does tracking work with the GA code on two websites, when we can enter only 1 URL for 1 GA Account Property?
  3. Would it be better to ask them to remove our GA code from the blog and let them manage it or would I be able to track performance by letting my GA code be there as well?
  4. Are there any settings within my GA property that I would need to adjust in order to be able to track traffic from both the websites, if I choose to let the GA tracking code be on the blog?

I know this may sound a little too much. I can clarify if it sounds confusing.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Re: Google Analytics on two domains

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Anish,

1. If you have access to the account they set up for the blog only there is no need to track the blog with your code.

2. You can track multiple websites in the same property using the same code. You can enter only one URL in the property settings, that is the default URL. You can set up different views and use predefined include / exclude filters to separate the traffic based on the hostnames.

3. It's your choice. If you want to track the blog in your property then leave your code on the blog. If you want only to see how is the blog performing then leave only their code on the blog and ask for permissions so you can see the reports.

4. If you have your code on both websites you will have the pages mixed from both sites in the reports. As I mentioned above you can set up different views to separate the traffic. Or you can set up a fiter to have the full URL in the reports so you'll have the domain name included in your reports. For this filter please check this document:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012243?hl=en
Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Anish

1) That's up to you and the client. I guess if the client wants access to the previous data?
2) It should work fine and it's very common for the exact use case you describe.
3) That's up to you and your client.
4) Both websites? Not sure what you're talking about here. You'll have to elaborate further.

Dave
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Dave_Davis (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Anish,

1. If you have access to the account they set up for the blog only there is no need to track the blog with your code.

2. You can track multiple websites in the same property using the same code. You can enter only one URL in the property settings, that is the default URL. You can set up different views and use predefined include / exclude filters to separate the traffic based on the hostnames.

3. It's your choice. If you want to track the blog in your property then leave your code on the blog. If you want only to see how is the blog performing then leave only their code on the blog and ask for permissions so you can see the reports.

4. If you have your code on both websites you will have the pages mixed from both sites in the reports. As I mentioned above you can set up different views to separate the traffic. Or you can set up a fiter to have the full URL in the reports so you'll have the domain name included in your reports. For this filter please check this document:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012243?hl=en
Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your answer Dave Smiley Happy
I just clicked on the link to your website and I got the below error:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much Arnold. This clears quite a bit of confusion. I suppose my solution would be to create two different views. Again, thanks Smiley Happy