AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics deleting Custom Dimension values after a day

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I am using a User-scoped custom dimension to send the User ID with every hit after users log in. This user ID is just an internal database identifier for the user and contains no PII (e.g. 219917035). Although I have a separate User-ID enabled view, I need to have this as a custom dimension as well, so that I can segment users by ID (Advanced Segments) and get the data into the GA BigQuery export (the View that is connected to BigQuery is not User-ID enabled).

When I query today's data in GA, I can clearly see the Custom Dimension value coming through with the hits and showing up in the reports.

However, after a day passes, the data I saw during the day is completely gone: it looks like Google Analytics is completely removing the Custom Dimension values when it processes the daily data. This is not happening with my other custom dimensions.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Is it possible that GA is somehow filtering the Custom Dimension values and considering them PII for some reason?

Thanks!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

What are "Customer Dimensions", please?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Update: The Custom Dimension is now appearing correctly in the processed daily data and BigQuery. It looks like it was just an issue with the first day's data.