Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics code placement

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, just yesterday I put the Google analytics code into the head of all of my page templates - it started to track, but it is not tracking all of my visitors. I know this because my hosting site gives me data also - on the hosting site it says I had many more pageviews than what my google analytics account says.

Google Analytics code placement

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The GA code should be located just before the closing </HEAD> tag. More info here.

Keep in mind your server-side tracking might have a very different way of defining what is a pageview or a visit (or session).

Some people might be using ad blockers (some of them, like uBlock Origin, blocks GTM & GA, while Ad Block Plus will let it through). There are bots traffic that might be blocked if you have enabled "Exclude all hits from known bots and spiders" under the View Settings. There might be filters you have applied that are excluding some of the traffic, etc.

Are the trends & proportions similar when looking at a single tool?

Essentially, comparing two methods is like comparing apple and oranges... Or the analogy I often use when teaching: it's like taking a child's temperature with a thermometer... there are many methods: under the armpit, under the tongue, or the b*tt... Any method will tell you if your baby is doing well, and each one will provide a temperature... but don't mix the tools... Smiley Wink