Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics classic, will it fail gracefully after end of life?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I came to know that Goggle Analytics Classic (ga.js) is reaching end of life by end 2017. We have a webapp that is using GA classic. It is under maintenance and we have plans to migrate all the users to a new app. My question is regarding the impact on our webapp after GA classic end of life. Will it fail gracefully after end of live? What I mean by this is, whether there would be any impact on my webapp functionality (except that analytics data will not be captured, which is acceptable for us) if I continue to use ga.js and associated code.

whether or not Google will continue to host ga.js?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics classic, will it fail gracefully after end of life?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Gautam,

The plans call for hits to not be processed that use utm.gif (classic) and no other impact at this point. You should be fine, but why not just upgrade, use firebase or deploy via GTM? Something for you to consider....

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

Thanks for the response.
This is a business decision. They do not want to invest for something that will be decommissioned soon unless its absolutely needed.
So the ga.js will still be hosted by google and will not beak any site functionality, right?

Thanks,
-Gautam

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Gautam,

There are no announced plans to no longer host ga.js; that said you may want to test how your app responds when and if GA.js is not available.

The announced plans only state that hits from urchin.js and ga.js would no longer be processed whenever the deprecation takes place. Strange thing, Google used to have a phased timeline here:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/upgrade/#upgrade-guides

and they have removed it and have no official acknowledgment of the deprecation.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Theo for your responses. It was helpful.
I am new to GA and have no idea how to reach GA support. The only thing I see from dashboard is send feedback which I tries with no luck.
Do you know if there is a support number or email address that I can use?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Gautam,

You have three options for support:

1. This Forum

2. Hire a GACP (Google Analytics Certified Partner)

3. Buy GA Premium / Analytics 360 for 150K USD per year - which comes with some support.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn