Analytics
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics and password-protected content

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'd like to track visitor statistics of a password-protected website. I am concerned that putting Google's tracking code onto the website's pages will lead to content indexing and this, in its turn, will lead to this content appearing on the Internet. Does this happen? If yes, what do people do to prevent content exposure?

Thank you in advance!
Maria

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics and password-protected content

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
No, it doesn't happen.

The code doesn't index anything, nor will it give Google any passwords. If Googlebot can't reach the page, it can't index it

Re: Google Analytics and password-protected content

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Maria :-)
Installation of Google Analytics tracking code snippet has no affect/baring on your site pages being crawled and indexed by search engines.
To the best of my knowledge pages that require login cannot be accessed/crawled by search engines.
For more specific help with the SEO part of your question, best place to ask is the Webmaster Central Help Forum:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here