AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics and custom dimension tracking per user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

Not sure if i have the right board for this! So apologies if this is the wrong place!

I need some advice, I currently have a client who wants me to have it so that their google analytics pulls back some custom dimensions from a form that is filled in for registration.

They then want this custom information to be attached to the user who has just signed up to the account. So in turn this user will always have these custom dimensions attached to their sessions when they login so they can track usage of these users and over all the usage of each company using their platform and be able to filter via these custom dimensions.

I have got the custom dimensions working via Google tag manager and data layers. So these custom dimensions will populate with information.

But getting these custom dimensions to attached to each user so that their usage can be tracked on a per user basis is where I am lost.

They want to be able to see how many users are under one company (The company being a custom Dimension) and see other metrics associated with this such as page views and session duration.

Is this possible? Can it be done? If so how can I get this working??

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Staxoweb d
March 2017

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hi, my reply crossed with this.  You can create segments for custom dimensions and get the data you need.  A user level custom dimension will "tag" the user (_ga cookie value) so that all subsequent sessions will carry this "tag".

Does that make sense?

Best,

Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Staxoweb,

If you have the Custom Dimensions populating then it's as simple as creating a custom report with said dimensions.  It's important to note that the custom dimensions would need to be configured with a user level scope for you to get the data and that the user would also have to come back to the site.  (Unless the users are required to log-in each time and you're passing the data back in, then session should be adequate.)

You can also pull in the custom dimensions to other reports as a secondary dimension.

For filtering - if you want to create new views - you'll need to create the filter on the view level as the custom dimension is not tied to the account but the property (it's not intuitive).

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

The users will be logging in to the portal and its the usage that we want to track and then be able to filter or assort by dimensions such as company and job role. 

Would it better to use the user-ID feature for this? or will it still work if the user has to login?

Kind Regards,

Staxoweb.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

You can use user id in this case to see usage cross device but in order to see the other info you want; you'll need the custom dimensions.

On log in, you'll need to set the dimensions and have them set on the session level.   That should give you everything you need.   When you use the custom dimensions as a secondary dimensions in standard reports do you see them?

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay so the way this works is a company will have a portal of this service. The employee of a company will register and then have access to a portal of useful guides and videos etc.

The first set of custom dimensions is captured through the registration form. After that they have access to the portal, where would the session level custom dimensions be captured from if there is no form to capture them from??

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

For a bit of extra clarification my client has said this:

"

I want to view the standard range of Google Analytics data through segments that I create, showing me the data for segments like the following:

Examples of Segments that I want to use to view ALL GA data:

- Visitors from company X

- Mothers/fathers/managers from company X

- Visitors from company X and location Y

Etc.

1. I want to be able to create a SEGMENT from the custom dimensions. Then I want to be able to look at ALL of the GA data from that segment.

That’s why I thought it was important for the data to be available from each page view… but if not - that’s fine, as long as I’m able to view ALL the data sliced by SEGMENTS created with the custom dimensions."

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Got it, then you'll need to set the custom dimensions on the user level.  The only issue you'll have is that over time, users will access the portal on other devices or clear cookies -- all of these are tracking holes.

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Staxoweb d
March 2017

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hi, my reply crossed with this.  You can create segments for custom dimensions and get the data you need.  A user level custom dimension will "tag" the user (_ga cookie value) so that all subsequent sessions will carry this "tag".

Does that make sense?

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

Yes brilliant! Thanks for all the help, so we just need a way of renewing this custom information for users? So what would you say is the best way of renewing this custom information without the user needing to do anything?

Kind Regards,

Liam Glencross.

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

Hi Liam,

Upon registration the client id (value of the _ga cookie) will be tagged with the information, so each subsequent visit from that browser/device will collect under the "tags" (custom dimensions) that you've set.  The best way to transfer that do another device is through authentication where you would set them again.  Depending on your marketing and customer use case there are some other ways to help the process but they are edge cases really.

Cheers,

Theo 

Connect on LinkedIn